When I make homemade soup, I’m a hero in my house. My family loves soup. Butternut squash, lentil, broccoli, cauliflower. Whatever I make, they love. Best of all, besides the mutual soup admiration club, I always feel good that I’m serving something healthy. Pureed vegetables with water or milk and very little else, what can be better than that? I also love the fact that a pot lasts several days and takes us through several meals. There is no downside (except the cleanup).
According to a new book THE SOUPMAKER’S KITCHEN (Quarry Books, July 2013, $24.99 US / $27.99 CAN), there is almost an art behind making soups and stocks. By learning how to organize your kitchen and cooking processes to use every part of your ingredients, you will also be extracting the most flavor and nutrient value from your food.
by celebrated cookbook author and chef Aliza Greenis a cook’s complete guide to making soups, broths, potages, minestra, minestrone, bisques, and borscht. Learn how to set up your kitchen to use your ingredients most optimally—from saving vegetable scraps for stock to tips on freezing finished soups. Explore more than 100 soup recipes – plus variations on each – from all over the world, and in every style of soup you might want to eat. Recipes include:
- Hungarian Woodlands Mushroom Soup with Sour Cream and Paprika
- Tuscan Pappa al Pomodoro
- Senegalese Peanut and Yam Puree with Ginger
- Provencal Soupe au Pistou with Savoy Cabbage, White Beans, and Leeks
- Wild Salmon Chowder with Sweet Corn & Gold Potatoes
- Tom Kha Gai (Thai Chicken Coconut Soup)
- Cream of Cauliflower with Nutmeg and Chives
- Kerala Red Lentil Soup (vegan)
- Vietnamese Pho Soup with Beef Brisket
- Caribbean Callalou Soup with Crabmeat and Coconut
With a strong foundation in stocks included, THE SOUPMAKER’S KITCHEN is divided into chapters based on major soup families, such as clear broth-based soups, bisques, stews, chowders, and more. Each chapter includes an introduction, several delectable recipes, and invaluable tips to aid you in the process.
I’m thrilled to be giving away two copies of THE SOUPMAKER’S KITCHEN by Aliza Green!
To win, just comment below and let me know your favorite soup.
You can get additional entries by doing one of or more of the following:
– Follow The Culture Mom on Facebook.
– Follow The Culture Mom on Twitter.
– Follow The Culture Mom on Pinterest.
Winner will be selected randomly. This giveaway will end on Monday, October 28th at noon EST. Winner swill be posted here, on the Culture Mom Facebook page and via email and will have 24 hours to accept their prize.
Disclosure: I was not compensated to write this post, however I received a copy of the book for my own use.