One of my daughter’s first childhood heroines, right after Dora the Explorer, was Angelina Ballerina. We read all the books by Katherine Holabird and were transported into her world. When the phase ended, I admit I was a little disappointed. I liked her innocence, her zest for life, her love of the arts.
When I learned that the producers had taken the show into the next phase of her life on a recent tour of the PBS studios a few months ago, I was thrilled. Now, as a 7 year-old, she is equally inspired by this little girl who is now 8 on the show, who like her, loves to dance and wants to share her passion for it with everyone she meets.
This fall, Lionsgate and HIT Entertainment are releasing a new animated DVD, Angelina Ballerina: Love to Dance. New music, new friends and new dancing styles await Angelina Ballerina — a little star with big dreams — on her first day at Camembert Academy . Dancing in the lunch yard, making new friends while remembering her old friends and rehearsing for the big show, Angelina is passionate about dance, particularly ballet, and always tries to make the best out of every situation. When little girls share in Angelina’s experiences, they’re inspired to pursue their big dreams too.
The DVD includes these five episodes:
- “Angelina’s New School ” – Angelina is excited, yet nervous, about her first day of school at Camembert Academy . When she finds her new classmates proficient in other styles of dance, she tries to copy their moves – without success. Angelina soon discovers that when she’s true to her own style of dance – ballet – she excels, and soon understands that everyone is different, and different is good.
- “Angelina’s Dance Partner” – Angelina is ecstatic to have the opportunity to dance with her best friend, Alice, at Camembert Academy ’s “Dance With a Partner Day.” Angelina likes to choreograph the routine down to the very last detail and Alice is happy to oblige! Unfortunately, when Alice gets the sniffles Angelina must partner with Viki, whose style of improvisation contradicts with Angelina’s style. Angelina learns the importance of collaboration, cooperation and adaptability when working with a partner.
- “Angelina’s Oldest Friend” – Angelina loves her new Camembert Academy friends and also loves her old friend Alice. She expects that both sets of friends will love each other too. Unfortunately, their first encounter is not as smooth as Angelina would have liked so the new and old friends work together to find a new way to play so all can have fun.
- “Angelina’s Sleepover” – Angelina, Viki and Gracie decide to have a sleepover the night before a rehearsal for the big performance, but they do everything except sleep! The next day they are too tired for the morning rehearsal and have to choose between an afternoon rehearsal or attending the annual Silly Hat Carnival, a fun tradition in Mouseland. Angelina and her friends decide to rehearse and learn that being prepared is the best fun of all.
- “Angelina and the Hip Hop Kid” – Angelina is very excited to be directing her very first Hip Hop Show when suddenly her star, AZ, falls and hurts his foot! Who can step into his shoes at the last minute? Marco is the number one choice. However, though he can play Hip Hop music, dancing Hip Hop is another thing. The show is in danger of not going on… unless Angelina can step with a solution in time.
The retail price of this DVD is $14.98 and is available in retail stores on August 31st, 2010.
Right now I have one copy of “Love to Dance” to give away to the lucky winner of this contest.
To enter, here’s what you have to do:
The winner will be chosen randomly on Friday, August 7th at 11:59pm. Good luck!
Disclosure: This DVD is being provided to this blog free of charge for the giveaway, with no requirement or agreement of review requested in turn. To enter, you must live in the United States.